St. Timothy's, Gridley, Celebrates Its 60th Anniversary

St. Timothy's, Gridley, Celebrates Its 60th Anniversary

By the Rev. John Harris

The pews were overflowing at St. Timothy's, Gridley, on Dec. 10, when Bishop Barry Beisner visited to celebrate the Holy Eucharist, and help mark the congregation's 60th anniversary.

The Bishop confirmed one individual, and received two others. He also presided at a baptism, and blessed the recently renovated Church Yard.

The first service for the congregation was on Nov. 10, 1957, in the chapel of a funeral home. Early parishioners talk about Sunday School in the coffin room!  The congregation was formally enrolled as a mission of the Diocese on April 30, 1958.

Eventually, the present church building was constructed at the corner of Magnolia and Jackson Streets, and dedicated in 1961.

St. Timothy's was a pioneer congregation in establishing and growing what has come to be called Total Ministry in this diocese, and was a founding member of the Valley Episcopal Ministry, a Sacramento Valley Cluster. St. Timothy's now functions as a single Total Ministry congregation with its own "locally grown" priest and deacon. The renovation of the church yard began in 2016, and was completed early this year.

No comments (Add your own)

Add a New Comment


Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.

© 2013 The Episcopal Diocese of Northern California.

Designed by: Element Fusion